Skip to content

How to get Permanent Residency in the USA for International Students



 Are you an international student who just finished your studies and is still determining the next step?

Do you want to stay back in the United States to achieve your dreams? If yes, this post covers 3 opportunities that may be available for you.


Though it takes time and works to become a lawful P.R. in the U.S., the benefits of a practical application make an effort meaningful. You can legally travel, work, and reside anywhere in the U.S. if you obtain a green card. You can also take advantage of additional bonuses, including Social Security payments and lawful coverage under U.S. laws.

If you entered the United States with an F-1 student visa, you have 3 ways to get Permanent Residency in the USA for International Students.

 get Permanent Residency in the USA for International Students


How to get Permanent Residency in the USA for International Students

Three ways to get Permanent Residency in the USA for International Students:

1. Optional Practical Training- OPT 

Optional practical training is planned for F-1 visa students who have just graduated.

It is a temporary employment authorization, and your employment must be linked to or related to your F-1 area of study. Qualified students may apply for up to one year of OPT employment authorization.

If your degree is in particular science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields, you might apply for a 2-year extension of your OPT.

Read Also: How to get Permanent Residency in Canada

How to Get Green Card in the U.S. Without Marriage

How to Apply for a US Visa Application Online

2. Apply for a Nonimmigrant Work Visa

  • H-1B Specialty Occupations

The H-1B visa is a nonimmigrant visa that permits migrants to work temporarily in highly skilled jobs. Migrants applying for an H-1B visa must have specific or specialized knowledge and a bachelor’s degree or higher or equivalent.

Most H-1B professions are in fields such as science, engineering, and information technology.


  • E-1/E-2 Treaty Trader and Investor

The E-1 type of visa is a treaty trader visa, and it is for migrants who are from nations that have a treaty of trade with the United States. Candidates must have “substantial” commerce or trade in goods between the U.S. and their home nation.

The E-2 visa is also for migrants from nations with a treaty of commerce or trade with the U.S. They must have financed or actively financed “substantial” investments in a U.S. enterprise.

  • L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visa

The L-1 is another nonimmigrant type of visa, and it is for employees who are hired outside of the United States. And are moving to the United States. This kind of visa also permits an international establishment to send an executive or manager to the U.S. to establish a United States office.

While these visas will permit you to stay in the United States, they won’t permit you to remain permanently. Getting a Green Card may be necessary if you wish to remain in the United States permanently.

3. Apply for a Green Card

Modifying status is the procedure via which temporary migrants in the U.S., like students, tourists, foreign employees, etc., can become legal permanent residents (Green Card holders) without leaving the United States. You can only do so through consular processing if you have to move to the United States but are currently outside the country.

The best options for receiving a Green Card as an international student are:

  • Immediate family sponsorship or support
  • Refuge status
  • The Green Card lotto
  • Employment support
  • Select military service


When you’re approaching the end of your studies in the U.S., you may be pondering what to do next. Most international students come to continue with their American dreams after their studies in college. Yet, many might be discouraged by the complex immigration procedures required to get work permits or a U.S. green card.


1. Can an international student get a residency in the U.S.?

An F1 student visa holder can get a Green Card to permanently stay and study in the United States. There are ways you can become a permanent resident.

 2. Can I remain in the United States after my studies?

Yes, international students can undoubtedly remain in the U.S. after graduation if they apply for either STEM OPT or OPT, optional practical training. This program permits international students to remain in the United States for either 1 year if it’s regular or OPTS for up to 3 years if it’s STEM OPT.

 3. Can I become a United States citizen if I study there?

A candidate has to go through several stages: endorsement of the application, a labour permit, and then final endorsement of a green card for permanent United States citizenship. Knowing this process clarifies how international students can obtain U.S. citizenship with the smallest amount of red tape.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *