Skip to content

How to get a passport for the first time in North Carolina



You are considered a new applicant or first-time applicant if:

  1. It is the first time you are ever applying for a U.S. passport.
  2. Your previous U.S. passport is no longer in your possession or is missing.
  3. Your passport is mutilated or damaged.
  4. Your old passport is expired, and it was about over 15 years ago.
  5. Your passport was issued before you became an adult under 16.

This page will give you the details on how to get a passport for the first time in North Carolina. 


passport for the first time in North Carolina 

How to get a passport for the first time in North Carolina 

Instructions for applying for a passport for the first time in North Carolina: 

1. Complete the application form DS-11. 

If you lost your passport or it was stolen, you must complete and sign the application form DSP-64. 


For minors, both parents and the minor child must be present when the documents are completed. If only one parent is available, the other parent must notarize and sign a consent form:

2. You are to present two recent passport photographs

Acceptable passport photographs are:

  • The photographs must be 2 x 2 inches in size and are required to have been taken in the past six months.
  • The image size, measured from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head, must be between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches.
  • The person should not wear glasses
  • The photographs must be colored 
  • The photo should be a full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background.
  • The passport photographs should be taken without a hat or headgear that could obscure the hair or hairline.
  • Only medically prescribed glasses are acceptable; nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are unacceptable.
  • Digital passport photographs taken at home are not acceptable.

3. Completion and Signing of Authorization Letter 

When submitting the passport application, the Passport Clerk should place the printed, filled out, and signed authorization letter, which is written in blue ink, in a sealed envelope.

4. Proof of U.S. Citizens

The following can be used as proof of citizenship:

  • A certified birth certificate issued by the state health department or bureau of vital statistics. Please note that hospital birth certificates are not accepted. 
  • The consulate record of birth abroad
  • Naturalization Certificates or (certificates of citizenship)
  • An old, expired U.S. passport issued over 15 years ago or when you were under 16.
  • Please note that when renewing passports for minors under age 16, both original birth certificates and previous passports must be submitted.
  • In addition to proof of U.S. citizenship, proof of identity will also be required. A valid driver’s license or state I.D. issued more than six months ago must also be available. Copies of the front/back of the I.D.s should be made.

5. Proof of the Departure date from the USA is also Required

A copy of the air tickets, an itinerary, or a letter from the employer’s stationery confirming immediate international travel is required.

6. Completed Ambassador Passport and Visa Services Cover Letter

7. Be Sure to make Copies Before Your Document are Sealed

  • Before the documents are sealed, please make copies of the following:
  • All application forms, for example, DS-11 and DSP-64, if required. 
  • Letter of authorization 
  • Proof of Travel, either your travel itinerary or business letter.
  • Make copies of both the front and back of the driver’s license or state identification.
  • The Ambassador Passport and Visa Services Cover Letter

8. Carrying Out the Passport Application Processes 

You should take all the gathered requirements to your local acceptance agent for passport applications, for example, a post office or county clerk. Tell the acceptance agent that you are processing your passport application through a hand-carry agent or a private agency. The clerk will place the documents in an envelope, seal it, and return it to you (you must tamper with this envelope). The sealed envelope should be sent to the delivery office immediately because it expires within 5 working days from the day of signing the documents.

Please note that you will have to pay the U.S. government fee to the clerk. 

For Adults

The execution Fee is $35.00

The Government Fee, payable to the U.S. Department of State, is $190.00


The total Government Fee is $225.00

For Minors 

Execution Fee, the clerk, retains the execution fee: of $35.00

The Government Fee, payable to the U.S. Department of State, is $160.00

Total Government Fees are $195.00

Please write your full name and date of birth on both checks.

The following documents are to be placed inside the sealed envelope to be submitted by the Passport Clerk:

  • The Application Form DS-11
  • Your Proof of U.S. Citizenship
  • The passport photographs
  • The Letter of Authorization
  • The Appropriately paid Government fees
  • The Proof of Departure Itinerary

9 . Fees to be paid

Unless otherwise confirmed by an Ambassador Passport and Visa Agent, processing for a U.S. Passport begins the FIRST BUSINESS DAY AFTER Ambassador Passport and Visa Services receive all the documents and requirements.

  • Government Fee: These fees are paid at the time of submission following the instructions above.
  1. Adults (age 16 and above) =$225.00
  2. Minors =$195.00
  • Ambassador Passport and Visa Services Fees:
  • Federal Express Fees (Continental USA Only)

Read Also: How to Obtain A Child Passport with One Parent Absent

How to Apply and the Requirements for US Passport application for Minor


Getting a passport for the first time in North Carolina is not very difficult; it just entails a step-by-step laydown of guidelines that will help you get your passport any time. These guidelines will be discussed in detail in this article.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *